2019 German Language Student Speech Contest
Date/Time: Saturday, November 9, 2019 @ 1:15pm -2pm
Place: Western Carolina University -- McKee Bldg, Room #121
Categories: Students will be assigned exclusively into one of the following two categories:
- Category 1 (Beginner): Those who have completed only the first two German language courses at the college level or less. Usually this includes students who’ve taken their school’s equivalent of German 101 and German 102. All high school students will be in Category 1.
- Category 2 (Intermediate +): Those who have completed more than two semesters of college-level German or whose German language skills are determined to be at the intermediate level or higher. Sorry, but native and heritage speakers of German are not eligible for the German language speech contest. These students are encouraged to participate in the English language contest instead.
- Judges may, at their sole discretion, re-assign contestants to a more appropriate category.
Length of Speech:
- Category 1: 1 - 2 minute speech, or recited poem (any length)
- Category 2: 2 - 3 minute speech
- Category 1: Speech: "Warum soll man Fremdsprachen lernen?"
Short poem recital: EXAMPLES
- Category 2: "Die Bedeutung des Falls der Berliner Mauer"
Contestants must write their own, original speech for the contest. Teachers and others may only make corrections and suggestions but cannot prepare the speech for the contestants. Speeches must be presented in the German language.
Speeches should be memorized as much as possible. Points will be deducted for reading or referring to notes.
Contestants must be currently enrolled high school or college students from the Western North Carolina region. Contestants in the English Language speech contest are not eligible.
Prizes: The winners in each category will win either cash, check, or gift card for:
- 1st Place: $80
- 2nd Place: $40
- 3rd Place: $30
Judging Criteria: Judges will select winners according to the following criteria:
- Content: Contents of the speech, originality, grammatical accuracy
- Voice: Appropriate volume and speed, pronunciation
- Delivery: Expressiveness, intonation, attitude, eye contact
In order to register for the speech contest, you must first create an account on this system using the 'Create an account' option in the Login Form on the right side of the page. After creating your account, you must log in. If you click the contest registration links without being logged in, you will be returned to the home screen. There are limited spots on the roster, which will be allocated on a first come, first served basis.
Category 1 (Beginner) is limited to the first 20 students to register. Click HERE to register for Category 1.
Category 2 (Intermediate +) is limited to 15 students. Click HERE to register for Category 2.
Adjustments to the roster may be made to ensure broad inclusion and representation of different schools.
The decisions of the judges in all matters are final.