Weißt du noch, wie es am 9. November 1989 in Berlin aussah?
This year, we celebrate the thirtieth anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall and the German-American friendship that has been growing for over seventy years!
This fall, with the generous financial support of the German Embassy in Washington, D.C. and Western Carolina University, we will be hosting several events in honor of German-American friendship. Organized by Dr. Will Lehman, these events seek to bring together students from WCU, UNC-Asheville, and Appalachian State University, as well as community members from the entire Western North Carolina region.
All events will take place on the campus of Western Carolina University. Here is a listing of our scheduled events, in chronological order:
** Please note some time changes as of Wed. Nov 6:
- Scholarly Presentation: “Wall of Words: Developments in the German Language since Reunification” by Dr. Regine Criser, UNC-Asheville (Wed, Oct 30, McKee 134, 6-7pm)
- Poster Exhibit: “Understanding Borders: The Berlin Wall” (Tuesday, Nov 5, Gallery 130 in Bardo Art Center)
- Film Screening: “Das Leben der Anderen” (The Lives of Others) with short discussion by Dr. David Dorondo (Mon, Nov 4, UC-Theater, 6pm)
- Building and defacement (w/ spray paint) of mock Berlin Wall (Friday, Nov 8, Outside McKee, 12 noon)
- Scholarly Presentation: “United but Still Divided: German 30 Years After the Fall of the Wall.” (Friday, Nov 8, McKee 121, 6pm)
All of the following events happen on Saturday, November 9:
- German Language Speech Contest (McKee 121, 1:15pm)
- English Language Speech Contest (McKee 121, 1:45pm)
- Poster Contest (Student Voting) (McKee 121, 2-3pm )
- Raffle and Prize giveaways for all students present (McKee 121, 3pm)
- Tearing down the mock Berlin Wall (Outside McKee, 3:30pm)
Further events include:
- Student Tour of the Siemens Energy Plant in Charlotte, NC (Nov. 12)
- Student Tour of the BMW factory in Spartanburg, SC. (Dec 3)
Questions? Email Dr. Lehman (welehman AT wcu DOT edu)